Skip to main content

The Age of Phillis by Honoree Fanonne Jeffers

 The Age of Phillis by Honoree Fanonne Jeffers 


The Urban Life Experience Book Discussion Series continued on Saturday April 10, 2021 over Zoom. There were twelve us on the webinar, and one by one, almost everyone lamented: "I'm not a poetry person! I just never understand poetry!" We still managed to discuss the book for over an hour and near the end, 
all those who complained at first, now said, "Oh, I understand it better when I hear people read it out loud." 

Honoree Fanonne Jeffers spent fifteen years doing archival research on Phillis Wheatley Peters. She even traveled to and lived in Gambia (the country it is believed Phillis was born in.) Remember Phillis Wheatley Peters was already seven years old when she crossed the Atlantic and was auctioned to John and Susuannah Wheately in Boston. 


Jezrie: I love this book I would probably get this in hard copy and encase it in glass, and have lights on it and stuff because it’s so pretty! I also watched the YouTube video…there were a few poems that really spoke to me. I wouldn’t necessarily say that I have a poetry mind. I will go to the one that is the absolute hands down favorite: Catalog: Water: The Zong 1781-1783 on pages 29 through 36. The part that was the absolute gut-punch for me were pages 34 – 36:

A heavy rain had fallen.

There was no shortage

Of water,

 not anymore,

                        but even so,

                        the crew of The Zong

                        drowned a third batch

                         of Africans, and then

                                                   the ship sailed on its way.

                                                    That’s all.

                                                    The ship sailed on its way.

                                                     No prayers.

The ship sailed on its way.

No funerals.

The ship sailed on its way. –

                                    _________________________

                                   

                                     My sleep is haunted

                                     By chains and catalogs,

                                     And I don’t give one damn

                                                             If you grow tired of hearing

                                                              About slavery.

                                                              I will curse sailors and

                                                              Their willful, seafaring tales.

                                                 _______________________________

 

                                                     Don’t you know that

                                                     Drowned folks will rise

                                                     To croon signs to me?

                                                     And anyway, I didn’t tell

This story to please you.

I built this altar for them.

                                           

                  

 

Honoree then put in the letters between Phillis and John. Page 127

Free Negro Courtship #2

 

Maybe if he did things right,

She might link her black life with his.

                His desire to protect her from ships,

Step between his black woman and sailors.

His vow that sang over water

                  To where her black parents might hear:

                                He didn’t just desire their black daughter-

                    He was honorable. He intended.-

               

  

Marian: one of the ones I found ironic was the one she wrote to George Washington with the cross-outs

p.139 Fragment #3: First Draft of An Extant Letter, Phillis Wheatley, Providence,

To General George Washington,

Cambridge Headquarters

in the enclosed poem filled with desperate

attempts to prick your male vanity and

entreat your acceptance you should be glad

I wrote though I am not insensible

Of your cruel aversion to Negro

Men who fight for the indefensible

Your Excellency’s most obedient

Servant this humility is tedious

Marian: Honoree is the author and after 15 years of research this is her imagined perception of Phillis Wheatley

Marsha: I’m not a poetry person…I treated this like an assignment…I got up to page 37…I’m reading it more like prose and history…the whole thing with the detained children out west and the black bodies taken from Africa. I’m listening to Jezrie and I’m amazed… Phillis Wheatley was boring to me. Those of us that were taught that little snippet of slavery thought that slavery wasn’t so bad for her, not realizing that Susannah Wheatley was saying to her, “if you have children, your children won’t be treated as well as we treat you.” We didn’t realize that she eventually had her adult life. I was thinking she had it good to be a slave but she wasn’t her own person. I think I probably did understand that there was something wrong with the picture, she was basically a doll to these people. I had very mixed feelings.

Marian: I remember learning about Phillis Wheatley through my school years…it feels like she existed between 7 years old and 12 years old…but I understand what you mean. I never knew she had a husband until we read Honoree Fanonne Jeffers essay in The Fire This Time by Jesmyn Ward.

Wendy: I was just awed by Honoree’s writing. I was moved by the taking away of the child from her mother. How often she comes back to that.

 Susannah. P.42 The last stanza of the poem, Mothering # 2

She took the child into her home,

Fed and bathed her, deciphered

The naps on her head.

Dressed her in strange garments:

Gratitude and slavery.

And so.

 

 I thought that captured the clear dichotomy. The poem on page 53, I thought this was so clever. You can read Phillis’ line, you can also read Susannah’s line. See the letter to John Thornton on p. 126

Fragment#1: First Draft of an Extant Letter, Phillis Wheatley, Boston, to John Thornton, London

Dear Sir

You propose my returning to Africa

With Bristol yamma and John Quamine

Who on earth are these negroes and how could

You hand me off as if this was once again an auction

 

I thought what Phillis Wheatley wasn’t able to do, Honoree does for her. P.96-97 a parallel between Susannah Wheatley and  Martha Washington, who was also thought to be this benevolent mistress. Then she was just going to give Ona Judge away to her relative.

The Journey of Ona Judge, Enslaved Servant of Martha Washington, Wife  Of President George Washington

 

One night, I heard her, while I was rambling

In the hallway; she revealed that she’d throw

Me to her kin, a gift. It was a blow

To me, a loyal girl, a steady hand

For Mistress when grief would not let her go:

At dinner time, I walked out the front door.

 

Marian: I wrote to Honoree and asked her a question. I couldn’t figure out if you were supposed to read P.92 Chorus of the Mothers Griotte straight down or across.  She wrote back and said either way, she wrote it like this on purpose. The other question I have (though I didn’t ask the author this one) had to do with the poems about the immigrant children in detention centers in this modern time.

 Sarah:  These children weren’t enslaved, but they were just as lost. There's the loss and the fear. I don’t know why she thought it was important to make that link. I don’t know.  Newest immigrants get the lowest jobs that don’t pay well at all.

Marsha: I thought the link made sense. It was a child that was taken away from her mother, lost everything that she knew…amazing that she even survived the journey. The same of these children in the detention center. They aren’t treated well. 3 or 4 year-old children, who was giving that child food what was happening to the young girls who may have had 4 or 5 sanitary napkins. Who was providing for them? These kids don’t know what’s going to happen to them. I felt the link between someone being taken from their home and someone leaving their home, not knowing what’s going to happen to them.

 

Virginia: I agree with that. I also thought the same thing. Who was taking care of the little ones?

 

Marian: I think that poetry is supposed to be heard. Also I noticed that when Jezrie and Wendy were reading, I realized that there were words that my eyes had skipped over. When you hear it aloud it enhances the experience. It really makes you take your hat off to poets.

Barb: the friendship between Phillis Wheatley Peters and Obour Tanner how she became a dear friend, maybe even a soul mate to her. Various poems about the friendship. Deprived of everything she had ever known. What a beacon to have a friendship that she managed to maintain over time. I really appreciate the way Honoree’s honors that friendship

p.77 Lost Letter #7: Phillis Wheatley, Boston, to Obour Tanner, Newport

[dark coming over the water I was naked

but unaware of shame my mistress taught me

that God hates a bare body especially a black one]

[you have my yaay’s face I lie and say

I cannot remember her but sister

I do I do know my name]

 

Marsha: You have my Yaay’s face. Do we know Phillis’s name.?

 

Patty: Another example of a different name is on page 93 in the poem called Isabell

And then, Isabell put the baby

To her breast and sang,

Your name is William here,

But Mother calls you

Something else

Something old in secret.

 

Marian: when you read Before the Mayflower Lerone Bennett mentioned Isabel and her husband.

Laura: I absolutely love poetry…it’s so mysterious…it’s feelings woven into the lines. Had to do with the migrant children. A mothering gesture.p.41 The youngest children and the longing also reminded me of the book Washington Black. His connection with the white scientist. The longing and the vulnerability of the young child. The poems with the cross-outs reminded me of The Poet X how she would write the poem on one page and what she really wanted to say on the opposite page. There’s an incredible photo of the author on the back of this book. It’s mystical.



Sarah: I too was not a poetry fan. But I found that in reading this in the way that each poem/story the messages being told from different people’s perspective. When I told a friend of mine, he told me that he loved Phillis Wheatley in high school and loved her work. He found a picture of a statue of PW online and compared it to a picture of Amanda Gorman on the cover of Time magazine.



Carla: I’m not a poetry person. I can read Maya Angelou but I could not get into this. She never appealed to me: Phillis Wheatley. It’s very hard. I need to hear it, but for me to read it on my own is very difficult.

 

Marsha: Amanda Gorman book was coming out. It was real to me when she recited it. Maya Angelou’s poetry was really straightforward. Not with a whole lot of hidden imagery.

 

Robin: like Marsha I’m kind of a science person. I’m trying to figure out what poetry means.  …incredible work I think like Judy when several of you were reading the poems I learned a little more.

 

Jezrie: from  Homegoing or the crossing over of Goonay lately known as Phillis Peters

The journey is over

But I can –shall- answer:

Yes, even here.

Even in this small, cluttered room

 

 

Eve there-on that long-ago ship,

The planks slick with mourning-

 

Before my name was changed,

And I awoke on this side of water

 

 

Wake up, Yaay.

 

Come to the doorway

And call a prayer

To me.

 

It sounds so beautiful out loud. Now that I read it out loud I miss her.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Movement Made Us: A Father, A Son, and the Legacy of a Freedom Ride by David J. Dennis Jr. in collaboration with David J. Dennis Sr.

  Book Discussion of The Movement Made Us by David Dennis Jr. and David Dennis Sr.    Discussion date: December 30, 2023   Nine of us met for our last book discussion of 2023 on the last Saturday of December. The book, The Movement Made Us: A Father, A Son, and The Legacy of a Freedom Ride. This book chronicles Dave Dennis Sr. ’s Movement stories from 1961 to 1964. The stories are transcribed by his son Dave Dennis Jr.     Meghan : He (the son) was like translating a n oral history that he had broken down through interviews . I like the wordplay he used but I also questioned   how much of this is the son kind of creating literature and not necessarily the father’s voice? But at the same time, I appreciated it because it’s so inter-generational because the Movement is about family and passing down activism.   Janice: T he re is a YouTube video about this book recorded at MDAH. (Mississippi Department of Archives and History . ) The video features both David Dennis Sr. And

New People by Danzy Senna

                                                                             The Urban Life Expe rience Book Discussion Series continued on June 3 rd , with a discussion of New People by Danzy Senna. This 2017 novel features a young woman, Maria, who is engaged to Khalil, but becomes increasingly obsessed by a poet i n their community who is unambiguously Black. Maria and Khalil are both mixed-raced people and are being featured in a doc umentary about multi-raced Black people who are exceptionally light complexioned and consider themselves upwardly mobile. Maria was adopted by a Black woman named Gloria who didn’t realize that her baby was never going to appear Black. Maria is writing her dissertation on the musicality of the Jim Jones cult and Khalil is starting a dot-com company with his best friend Ethan. The book discussion was quite contentious and brought up questions on who has the authority to write this kind of book. Janice: I’d go so far as to say I liked it. The

Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement: A Radical Democratic Vision by Barbara Ransby, 2003

Nine of us met on Saturday March 16 th to discuss Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement by Barbara Ransby, published in 2003.    Although born 1903 in Norfolk, Virginia, Ella Baker was predominantly reared in Littleton, North Carolina. Her Civil Rights and Human Rights career spanned over five decades, some of her work took place in New York and some took place in the South.    Some of the groups she worked with are   YNC L Young Negroes’ Cooperative League    WEP Worker s’ Education Project    NAACP National Association for the Advancement of Colored People    SCLC Southern Christian Leadership Conference    M FDP Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party    SCEF Southern Christian Education Fund    SNCC Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee     She established her place in these movements as a behind the scenes organizer and never sought leadership positions. Her philosophy about movement work involved training regular people to lead from the bottom up, as opposed to